A jury has selected the final recipes that will be represented at the seventh National Bread Day, which will take place virtually on Wednesday, June 9.
The National Baking Competition, sponsored by Red Star Yeast, King Arthur Baking Company and Kansas Wheat, named three adult and two youth finalists. In addition to the five finalists, the judges also selected 27 Honorable mentions. The finalists and winners represent states from coast to coast.
“The National Festival of Breads celebrates the creativity of American home bakers,” says Cindy Falk, event co-chair and nutrition educator for Kansas Wheat. “Join us on June 9 from the comfort of your home as we share the stories behind our finalists’ winning recipes and announce who will be America’s next best baker.”
The finalists are:
- Barbara Estabrook (Appleton, Wisconsin) – Hearty Cherry Wild Rice Bread in the Traditional Breads category
- Susan Simpson (Harrington, Delaware) – Apricot-Grape Babka Ring in the Sweet Breads / Rolls category
- Anakkarat Barth (Long Beach, California) – Salted rolls with Thai peanut sauce in the Savory rolls category
- Maggie Sleichter (Clay Center, Kansas) – Strawberry Lemonade Swirls in the Sweet Rolls category
- Madee McKee (Wamego, Kansas) – Blueberry Flower Tree Braids in the Creative Bread Shape Category
Viewers can attend the event’s online premiere on June 9 to see all of the finalists’ recipes, hear from the finalists and sponsors, and find out who will be crowned the “Best Bread” champion in the US Baking Championship.