For hundreds of job seekers in the tri-state area, Thursday’s “ComeBack Job Fair” at the Bruce Convention Center in Hopkinsville offered plenty of opportunities – over 80 diverse companies and a real mix of jobs up for grabs.
For vendors, it was an almost emotional experience, as apps, resumes, and eye contact – something that was lacking during the pandemic – turned what was an ordinary scenario into anything but.
Joquela Smalls, human resources generalist for Jennie Stuart Hospital in Hopkinsville and originally from Guthrie, said she collected over 40 resumes and phone numbers in 2.5 hours for a myriad of positions within the ‘establishment.
Autumn Thomas, a human resources generalist for Stanley in Hopkinsville, also had the same luck – receiving at least 20 applications for six open positions in a 90-minute period.
Nathan Dean, a human resources officer for Hankook Atlas BX in Clarksville, retrieved 11 resumes and eight email addresses before lunchtime. More than 20 jobs are available within the start-up, which is responsible for assembling lead-acid batteries designed for original equipment and the aftermarket.
And it was the personal and human interaction that made all the difference. Vanessa Taggart, training manager for Continental Mills of Hopkinsville, noted that a handshake – paired with an online app – helped put two and two together for a memorable imprint.
With nearly 60 positions available at Metalsa of Hopkinsville – a manufacturer of chassis structures for light and commercial combustion engines, hybrid and battery-electric vehicles – human development manager Sharon Chilton noted there were concerns. in the region regarding people not returning to work.
After landing more than 20 applications and resumes in the first half of Thursday’s job fair, however, she feels a little more confident about the future of the region’s employment sector.
Of the 86 providers and organizations scheduled to be on-site for the career fair, 43 of them were Second Chance Employers, meaning applicants had an equal chance of employment after previous incarceration.
Those who explored new job opportunities on Thursday should follow all leads in the coming weeks – as commerce and business in general returns to normal after Kentucky reopens on June 11.
For many companies, Thursday was just the start of the local workforce replenishment. As potential hires and second interviews have taken shape, hundreds of jobs will remain open in the coming weeks.
And at some point, they will need to be filled.
Suppliers / Organizations
- Douglas Autotech
- Bed wood and parts
- TRAD North America
- Lake Barkley and Pennyrile State Resort Parks
- Freudenberg Filtration Technologies, LP
- Kentucky moving and storage
- BGB Trucking Inc.
- Hankook AtlasBX
- Wabash National / Transcraft
- Huhtamaki inc.
- Metalsa structural products
- Stanley Engineering Fastener
- West Michigan United States Staffing Agency, LLC
- Hopkinsville workforce
- LG Electronics
- Martinrea Hopkinsville LLC
- Riken Elastomers Corp
- Wyndham Hopkinsville Garden
- Luttrell Staffing Group
- Oak Grove Racing, Gaming & Hotel
- Crown Services
- Plymouth Engineering Forms
- Elwood staffing
- Wise staffing group
- Crown Endowment Services
- Green River Correctional Complex
- Shady Lawn Nursing and Rehabilitation
- Kuttawa Christian Care Center
- digital works
- Christian Heights Nursing and Rehabilitation
- PACS transport
- Christian County Jail
- Holiday Inn & Suites Hopkinsville and Holiday Inn Express Oak Grove
- US Army recruiting station in Hopkinsville
- Comefri United States
- Morrison Health Care
- Assisted Living at Barkley Plantation
- Chick-fil-A Hopkinsville
- Bridgestone Metalpha
- Marquette Transport, LLC
- Higgins Insurance
- Hopkinsville Christian Care Communities
- A&G Tree Service
- Jennie Stuart Health
- Herb Hays Furniture and Mattresses
- Walmart Distribution Center
- Continental Mills, Inc.
- Keystone construction
- Rogman Corp KFC
- Western State Hospital
- Max Arnold & Sons, LLC
- Solid Waste Disposal in Hopkinsville
- Cumberland Room
- DENSO air systems
- The Edge Media Group; WKDZ / WHVO / WPKY
- H&R Agri-Power
- Merrell Home Improvement
- KPower-Clarksville Staffing Solutions
- Black Pearl Home Care
- Pennyrile Allied Community Services
- Hopkinsville Community College
- Office of vocational rehabilitation
- Kentucky Agricultural Worker Program
- Hopkinsville Morningside
- Whitehead Electric Company, INC
- Radhadji Inc
- Rogers Group Inc.
- EKCEP, Inc.
- Kentucky State Penitentiary
- Christian County Public Schools
- Car wash finish line
- Outwood / ResCare
- Ace Drywall & Acoustic LLC
- Muhlenberg employment body
- CBE companies
- US Air Force
- Centraide du Pennyrile
- Hands of hope